A carve-out is an alternative to the dispute resolution procedures in the state Workers’ Compensation system. A carve-out is created through a collective bargaining agreement.
The goals of a carve-out may include:
- Improve safety programs and have fewer injury and illness claims.
- Increase access to quality medical providers and medical evaluators.
- Lower costs of medical care.
- Reduce disputes.
- Improve collaboration between unions and employers.
- Increase satisfaction of all parties.
- Provide the opportunity for continuous improvement by renegotiating the terms of the carve-out on an as-needed basis.